Storytelling in Film post by author S. A. Soule

September 25, 2018
 

Most of you who know me, know I'm a true horror fan. I have loved scary movies since forever. I don't read much fiction horror anymore, but I do read its subgenres like UF. But a good spooky movie? Oh, yeah. I'm so there. 

A good writer can learn a lot by studying different methods of telling a story. And this is one example of amazing writing...

I watched HEREDITARY, a 2018 supernatural horror film written and directed by Ari Aster, the other night with my son. And I'm still thinking about it. 


Plot: When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter's family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry.

I have to say, it is one of the best horror films that I've seen in years. Usually while watching something, I like to predict or guess what's happening or will happen. I pride myself on being able to figure out the plot. But I couldn't figure out a single one. This movie had so many twisty turns that were totally unpredictable that I was on the edge of my seat. 


I love great storytelling and when I'm watching something and think, "Holy crap. Did that just happen? I so did NOT see that coming."

I admit, I was bit confused by the ending so I had to look it up online, and when I did, it made sense but I wish it had been made a little clearer in the movie. 


And normally, not much creeps me out, but after watching this film, I wanted to sleep with a nightlight and hold rosary beads. LOL

If you watch it, please let me know what you think and if it gave you chills, too. If you thought the plot twists were unpredictable. If you enjoy a good story that leaves you thinking about days afterward... :-)





No comments

I absolutely love hearing from my followers! Thank you so much for your comments. Consider yourself awesome!

(Please do not spam me. I moderate all comments, so do not waste your time.)