Indie author Interview with C.S. Wilde - #indieauthor #writetip

April 15, 2016



Today is is my honor and pleasure to have the amazingly talented, C.S. Wilde on the blog to share with other aspiring writers her writing and editing methods. Ms. Wilde's debut novel was published this week and you can you check it out HERE


I always like to start with a little background, where were you born?
 
Brazil, but because I’m a child of the world I was raised tri-lingual (English, German and Portuguese). Since I haven’t lived in Brazil for a while, my Portuguese is getting rusty and that sucks.

How old were you when you realized you wanted to be a writer?

Eight.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Fast-paced conversational style, balanced sentences. 

What genre are you most comfortable writing?

Fantasy/Sci-fi with touches of Romance.

How long does it take you to write a book?

On average, three months to half-a-year.

Do you have a critique partner(s)? 

Yup. Eight. I call them my Brady Bunch.

Do you ever use beta readers?

Sometimes, not always.

What did your voyage from unpublished writer to published author entail? 

A lot of tears and chocolate. 

What were the key highlights along the way to achieving your dream? 

Getting to know other authors!

When did you write your first book and how old were you? Tell us about it.

I was eight and I wrote this book about two blue macaws (Rio totally ripped me off, man). Anyway, the macaws wanted to go to the moon, so they hid in a rocket, and the book ends with them dancing happily on the moon with the Earth as background. Most of that book was hand drawn, by the way.

What was one of the most startling things you learned during your experience as an indie author?

How much work goes into marketing and the techie stuff. It’s insane. 

Do you have any helpful suggestions to help struggling writers become better novelists? If so, what are they? 

Learn how to make a good product. Learn about book marketing. The rest is easy.

How much editing/revision did you have to do before you felt that your MS was ready to be self-published?

A lot. I think ACOA had some twelve rounds of edits before I was happy with it.

Five rules for writing fiction that you live by?

I don’t live by any writing rule, because all of them can be broken depending on context. Look at most bestsellers: nearly all of them break the rules. Being fundamentalist about writing rules will limit you a lot. So this is what I do:

1) Learn the rules
2) Follow the rules for a while
3) See how experienced authors broke them
4) Reverse engineer the process so you can break them, too. But don’t break them all at once. Remember: balance is key.

Tell us about your newest release. How was your story birthed?

Santana has always wondered if she’d go to Hell for defending rapists and murderers. Now she’ll know. 

That’s ACOA (A Courtroom of Ashes). Oh and there’s a little romance with a hot ghost dude somewhere in there.

Fun fact: the inspiration for A Courtroom of Ashes was a lawyer joke.

What was your motivation for this story?

Glory, money, and bitches. But seriously, I just wanted to tell a story people would read and enjoy.

Who came up with your book title? Was it the original title or did it change along the way?

It was originally called In Death, but then a CP said, “Nah, this title is too meh.” And then we came up with “A Courtroom of Ashes”.

What's your secret to creating a realistic character(s)?

Messing them up whenever possible.

How do you come up with your character's names?

I like old names, actually. They have a way of coming back. I just saw one story with a Martha as main character and now it’s everywhere, even in Batman vs Superman. I can’t believe that Martha is in vogue again.

Which is more difficult to write: dialogue or action (or a love scene)?

Action, by far. Because you have to juggle pace, flow, and efficient descriptions all at once.

How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?

They’re really supportive. My husband is my rock. But I only show my stuff to my mom and my best friend. I guess not a lot of people in my life have read my books. And I don’t want them to. Cause then they’ll be all like, “Oooh, you wrote me here” or “Ooooh, you’re so Santana” or “Ooooh, you’re so John” and I’m like “I’m all of them, people! I’m a freaking storyteller.” 

Who is your favorite author and what really excites you about their work?

That’s a tough one, but I’ll say Susanna Clarke, because she wrote a novel about magicians in the eighteenth century, and I swear it was as if Jane Austen was narrating the whole thing and it was jaw dropping. Mrs. Clarke doesn’t need to write anything ever again, because Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel is her masterpiece and there’s no way she or anyone, ever, can top that book.

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies, or passions in life?

Skiing, yoga, and watching movies with mah boo.

What was the last amazing book you read? (What did you enjoy about it?)

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart, because it sticks with you.

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?

Nah, I can read anywhere.

Tell us a little about your next book.

James Bauman fell hard for his co-worker, Miriam Haworth. It was something that was just like boson particles or his father’s talent for baking apple strudels. But will he fight for her once he finds out she’s not from this world?
BOOK BLURB:
Santana Jones never thought she’d fall in love with a dead guy, but that was before she met John Braver, the incredibly charming and incredibly dead politician on the other side of her mirror.

When an evil spirit drags Santana’s soul across the mirror and into Purgatory, she’ll need all the help she can get to return to her body. With John by her side, nothing can go wrong. But Purgatory is a dangerous place for a lawyer with a pitch-black past. Santana has always wondered if she’d go to Hell for defending rapists and murderers.
Now she’ll know.






 


 AUTHOR BIO:
 
C.S. Wilde is just another author, here to entertain you. She writes about fantastical worlds, love stories larger than life and epic battles. She also, quite obviously, sucks at writing an author bio. She finds it awkward that she must write this in the third person, and hopes you won’t notice.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from my followers! Thank you so, so much for your comments. Consider yourself awesome!

(Please do not spam me. I moderate all comments, so do not waste your time.)

Free Blogger Design Made By The Dutch Lady Designs