8 Great Tips on Book Promotion from Author Marilyn Vix - #bookmarketing #indieauthor

October 30, 2015


 Today it is my honor to have the talented author, Marilyn Vix on the blog today to share her savvy advice on author branding and marketing a fiction novel.



What genre(s) do you write?
Paranormal and Erotic Romance

How are you currently marketing your book(s)?
They are available on Amazon, and distributed through Smashwords to Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and iTunes.

Which social media do you use the most and why?
I promote a lot on Facebook and Twitter. I’ve done blog tours and release parties on Facebook.

How much time each day or week do you spend marketing your work? 1-2 hours daily

What do you think are the best ways for a writer to promote themselves? Finding ways to reach out to your readers. I’ve found that blog tours and Facebook events help generate a lot of traffic. Plus, I organize a multi-author blog tour annually around Halloween.

How do you obtain book reviews?
Blog tours and Facebook parties usually get me a few reviews each time I have one.

Do you read reviews posted on places like Amazon or Goodreads?
Yes. I’ve written reviews for books I’ve read on both websites.

How do you react and respond to negative reviews?
It’s taken a little while to get over the 1 star reviews. I’ve grown a thick skin. I’ve seen some negative reviews maybe spur people to read some of my erotic shorts. But the most bothersome are the 1 star trolls that do thousands of 1 star ratings on Goodreads. I saw one account with over 14,000 1 star reviews hit all of my erotic shorts with one stars. I know Goodreads is trying to crack down on these trolls, but it still seems silly to have done it in the first place. I just keep thinking, don’t they have better things to do?

Do you participate in blog hops or book blog tours?
Yes. Whenever I have a new book release, I try to do one.

Do you ever offer guest posts for book bloggers?
Yes, during blog tours most of the time.

Do you ever give your book(s) away for free in giveaways or contests? Did it generate any sales? 
Yes. I try it a lot with Kindle Unlimited. It even generates reviews a lot of the time.

Have you enrolled any of your titles in Amazon’s KDP select? (What was your experience?)

Yes. I was doing well until the switch over to KU2 where you’re paid per page. I’m getting far less money, about 75% less. My stories are shorter, so I need more people to read them to generate the amount of sales. So, I’ve been trying to promote them a lot and write lots more.

Do you think book trailers help promote authors? 
I think they make better teasers during blog tours and Facebook parties.

How important do you think book covers are in the success of a novel?
Very important. I think it is the thing that catches the eye of the reader first. I have my covers done by professional cover designers.

Which media outlets do you think deliver the most power for book promotion?
Facebook for interaction.

If you had one piece of advice for an author promoting a book, what would it be?  
Don’t give up, and try lots of different things that work for you.


Website/Blog: http://marilynvix.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarilynVix

No comments :

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from my followers! Thank you so, so much for your comments. Consider yourself awesome!

(Please do not spam me. I moderate all comments, so do not waste your time.)

Free Blogger Design Made By The Dutch Lady Designs