4 Ways to Successfully Get Book Reviews - Book Promotion Part 4 - #indieauthor

March 25, 2015


PART FOUR ON BOOK PROMOTION

Today let’s chat about promoting your novel(s). The main hardship about being self-published or an Indie author is that you don’t have a huge marketing department behind your work like most traditional authors do. The most important thing to remember is that, the minute you publish your first novel, you have become an entrepreneur. You have started your own business that revolves around you as the author (your brand) and your novel(s). 

Most of my friends and family are not very supportive, so I cannot even count on them to buy my books. It’s all up to me. I have become the writer, book editor, marketer, and promoter of all of my novels.


Many authors will advise newbies to keep writing books and skip the promoting, but I strongly disagree with that. If you don’t do any marketing or request book reviews, then no one outside your family and friends will even know that you’ve published a book! If you want to turn this into a moneymaking career, then promotion is essential.


The day after one of my books is published, I will spend about two months requesting book reviews and marketing my newest novel on a daily basis. 


For about four to seven hours each day, I promote my newest novel on Twitter, my other social media sites like Facebook, and contact book bloggers about either featuring a guest post on their site or requesting a review. I have a huge contact list of over two thousand book reviewers that I can email and politely ask them to help market my novel. 


If you’ve been in this industry for a while or you’ve just published your first book, I’m sure you’ve already realized by now that there is a ton of different ways to build a readership, obtain honest book reviews, and promote your fictional novel. If you want to achieve success, one important factor is getting books reviews. For online retailers like Amazon, getting reviews is crucial to getting your novel recognized by the website’s recommendation algorithm. The best way to start is to contact book review bloggers and send them a request to read and review your novel.


Indie and self-pubbed authors need a marketing strategy!

 ***

Quote: “…Then in June, something truly magical happened. I discovered book bloggers. I had no idea such people existed. They just read books and write about them. And I don’t mean “just.” These people take time out of their busy lives to talk about books, have contests, and connect with followers and writers and other readers. These guys are honestly my heroes. I’m a little in love with all of them. I asked several if they would be interested in reviewing my books, and most of them said yes, even if they didn’t generally review self-published work. Then something surreal started happening. My books were selling…” –Amanda Hocking, bestselling author

***
Let’s start with the basics, requesting someone to read and review your novel. There is a “write” way and a “wrong” way to approach book bloggers and reviewers about reading your work. It might be obvious to some of you, but I’ll go over this step-by-step for those who don’t know where to begin. 


Step One:

 
Open up a browser on the Internet and search for book bloggers. Or find a list of possible reviewers separated by genre and listed alphabetically through helpful sites like the Book Blogger Directory.


There are thousands of book reviewers, so strive to find the ones that actually read your genre. You’ll also get more positive reviews this way, then if you try to peddle your “science fiction space opera” novel to a book reviewer who only reads and reviews historical romance. Read posts on their site and some of their book reviews, and by doing this alone, you’ll be able to tell if your novel is a good fit for their site.


Step Two:

 
Once you have found a site that reviews books in your genre, locate the “review policy” or “about” page on the site. Sometimes their policy is under the “contact” page, so you may have to look around. Read it carefully. Sometimes it’ll state that they are not accepting review requests at this time. Again, I advise you to just move on. 


Or if they are not accepting review requests, but they are offering to feature guest posts, you can send an email regarding a promo instead if you like.


Step Three:

 
Most reviewers will have either an email address or a contact form on their site. Before you contact the reviewer, make sure to double-check the links in your book review request document. Make certain that you spell their name correctly. Include your email contact information, but do not include your home address or phone number. (This is not a job resume.)


Step Four: 


Now send off the book review request! 

Also, my handbook "HOW TO INCREASE YOUR BOOK SALES IN 30 DAYS!" has TONS of suggestions on great ways to market your novel!

Hope this info helps. Best of luck!



No comments :

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from my followers! Thank you so, so much for your comments. Consider yourself awesome!

(Please do not spam me. I moderate all comments, so do not waste your time.)

Free Blogger Design Made By The Dutch Lady Designs